|Figure 1: The schema of the Access table we shall be using.|
- Open MS Word.
- Click the SELECT RECIPIENTS icon. This is located in the START MAIL MERGE group of the MAILINGS ribbon. Clicking the icon reveals a drop down menu.
- Select USE EXISTING LIST from the drop down menu.
- Browse to the location of your Access Database (in the window that has opened) and double click the it's file name. This opens the SELECT TABLE dialog form in which you see all the tables and queries from your database.
Figure 2: The SELECT TABLE dialog form.
- Double click the name of the table or query containing the customer names and addresses. We are interested in the tblCustomer. The dialog form then closes. You are now ready to select which fields to use in your document.
- Click the location on the document where the field is to be inserted.
- Click the lower half of the INSERT MERGE FIELD split button icon. This is located in the WRITE AND INSERT FIELDS group of the MAILINGS ribbon. A drop down list of fields appears (see figure 3 below).
Figure 3: Insert Mail Merge Fields.
- Select the customers title field from the list. A title field place holder now appears on the document.
- Repeat step 2, this time selecting the surname field. Make sure you leave a space between the two place holders.
- Go to a new line and then repeat step 2 again, this time selecting the first address field. Repeat this step for each of the address fields, each field on a separate line.
- Go down two lines below the address fields to enter the greeting line. Type a greeting such as "Dear ", leave a space, and then insert a title field, followed by another space, and then the surname field
|Figure 4: The Mail Merge Field Placeholders.|
|Figure 5 (above): Preview for the first record of merged data.|
|Figure 6: FINISH AND MERGE.|